Saturday, April 20, 2013

Kux Stop: UPLB -- Re-living the UPLB Life, 3104 Edition

This was us eight years ago.
3104 pertains to our room number when we stayed at the Men's Dormitory (no pun intended, it's just irony) in UPLB. HAHAHA.

Guys, I want you all to meet my college freshman room mates.  [Top left photo above L-R] Cere, Mina, and Badeth.

Cere, Mina, and I were talking about transferring to UP Diliman for our sophomore year. But by some unknown force, I decided I would be staying at UPLB. Mina and Cere pushed through with their plans. Badeth didn't have plans of swithching campuses.

We had our own lives through college. But from time to time, we do meet and catch up about the each others' lives. The meet ups became more frequent (like twice a year, haha) when we were already working being that everyone is already in the metro.

One meetup date, we decided to schedule a trip to our beloved UPLB. Wala lang, just to reminisce and re-live the time when we were there. Being the one who stayed there the longest, I was tasked to arrange an itinerary for our trip.

Here's a run through of the places we visited. For a more detailed itinerary with a rough estimate of the cost, please click here.
  • Rizal Statue (Calamba, Laguna)
    • Cultural heritage at its finest? I think this is by far the largest Jose Rizal statue I have seen. Haha. Located in front of the Calamba City Hall, this statue stands in the middle of a park that is really accessible to passers-by. We decided to stop here just for the photo op. HAHAHA.

  • Pook ni Mariang Makiling
    • From Calamba, we decided to take an alternate route using the PCARRD road to UPLB to avoid the heavy traffic at Junction, Los Banos. This route will let you pass by the mountains of Mariang Makiling allowing you to enjoy forest sceneries. Our initial itinerary was that we were supposed to go to the National Arts Center but due to ongoing road renovation, it was closed to the public. We opted to go to Pook ni Mariang Makiling instead.
    • Pook ni Mariang Makiling is a Park located at the Jamboree Site in UP Los Banos.
    • We paid PhP25 per head for our Entrance Fee as we were there only to have a look around and take pictures. If you want to have a dip at their pool, you pay an additional PhP40. Cottages are available for day or overnight swimming. Click here for a look at their rates (As of April 6, 2013).


One of the cottages.

The swimming pool + the Viewing deck.


  • Flat Rocks
    • Flat Rocks as the name suggests it are unique rock formations in Mt. Mariang Maquiling. The gate to this place and three other hiking trails is located at Forestry, in UPLB. Flat rocks is the nearest hiking site from the said gate. It takes about 30 minutes walk from the gate to the site. At the end of the trail, you shall be welcomed by a soft rustling of water on beautiful rock formations.
    • Rock Formations + Chilly Water from the mountains + Trees. The walk is all worth it. I'm not quite sure if it is allowed to bring food at the site, say for picnics. But hey, if you plan on sneaking in food, just be responsible enough to take care of your trash when you leave.

  • Isdaan Restaurant (Calauan, Laguna)
    • This restaurant is a franchise of the original Isdaan Restaurant in Tarlac. Just a few minutes away from UPLB, we decided to eat lunch here. Being the camwhores that we are, we wouldn't want to miss another photo op session with the large statues there. :P This would also be my first time eating here. The resturant was completed after I graduated.
    • To state, the Isdaan here in Calauan looks pretty much like the Isdaan in Tarlac. Services offered are also very similar like the Singing Cooks and Waiters Section (I overheard, they also sing the same songs. haha).
    • They also offer the same activities (as in the Tarlac branch) that customers can do while waiting for their orders. To note, the most famous one is the Taksiyapo section where one can throw items (ranging from small cups, plates to bigger items like vases and televisions) a customer can buy (also from there) to release anger. The rule is to throw the item to the wall hard enough to break, then one shouts, for example, "Taksiyapo! Ang gago ng boss ko!" I think Taksiyapo is a curse word in Kapampangan. Haha. For some unknown reason, we weren't able to do this. Haha.
    • Food at Isdaan here in Calauan also tastes similar to the one in Tarlac. If my memory serves me right, I think they offer the same Menu. Even though I have received negative comments about this restaurant from a friend, I still chose to eat here. I wanted to experience it for myself. I am glad to say that I was quite satisfied with the foord that was served and their service, unlike what my friend told me. The food was served really quickly and tasted delish! When we arrived here, there weren't a lot of customers so my best guess is that was the reason why we had good service and food. Hopefully, they can train their staff to be consistent enough to keep up with the good food and service even when they are packed.





  • St. Therese Chapel
    • St Therese chapel is located inside UPLB. This chapel has been my go to place every Sunday (if I am in elbi) or everytime I need help from or thank God.
    • I had this silly idea back in college when I told myself that this shall be the chapel where I will be getting married. Char. :))
    • We stopped by here to say a short prayer in the Adoration chapel (aircon kasi). Hahaha.





  • Lower Campus Tour
    • So, on to the highlight of the trip. The lower campus tour where we went back to reminisce the time when we were all students of UPLB. :) Let the photos do the talking.


Okay, let's start from the outside, in. :) Here at the UPLB gate.

Carabao Park.

Kwek-kwek tower. Honestly, I do not know the real name of this tower. It was nick named "Kwek-kwek" tower becuase the fire atop this structure has the same color as the kwek-kwek  streetfood(fried quail eggs wrapped in a delicious flour mixture).

The PhySci building. This is where most of out ComSci classes are held.


The Oblation

Palma Bridge.
Si Mariang Banga.

Freedom Park.
A solo photo of myself in front of my other dormitory (Women's Dorm) for two years.
Destination reached! This is the entrance to our dormitory. :)


Taking a picture outside our former room. :) Nostalgic.

After here, we decided to take a rest near the oval, Fertility Tree, and the Carillion Tower at the Freedom Park. Also took a shot of the Baker Hall. While waiting and resting and reminiscing, we decided on having a go at Mina's camera's smile shutter feature. Photo flooding up next! haha

The Fertility Tree and the Carillion Tower.

Baker Hall.

AAAAAAND, the chillax photos! [Click on image to play]



There you have it folks! Our mini Field Trip to UPLB. :) Next stop, Corregidor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...