Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tutorial: How to make your own rubber stamps

Stamp rendering of  the Monster's logo. 

For some unknown force (insert star wars-y vibe here), I have been feeling all craft-sy lately. It seems as if I have this need to create and personalize stuff. 

Back Story
This feeling started when I wanted to give something special to a friend for her birthday (aside from that of what I bought for her). I thought of a personalized card with lots of "stamped" designs. I also wanted to use my washi tapes that I have bought earlier.

While browsing through the scrapbooking  section of a famous bookstore, there were VERY FEW options available for stamps that are birthday-themed. In addition to that, I thought that the stamps were expensive considering that I have very few options to choose from.

So, I've decided to create my own rubber stamps for my personalized card. With a quick web search, I came upon a blog that teaches its readers how to make home made stamps. Now, with that, I'd also like to share the knowledge with you. :)


Tutorial

Here's what you'll need:


1. Printed out patterns / letters on tracing paper. (Normal paper will also do.)
Since I am a person with absolutely no talent at drawing anything decent, I'll rely on computerized print-outs of the stuff I want to stamp-ify.

2. Erasers
Yep, the erasers will serve as the rubber base for your home made stamp. Aside from being readily available, they are also very easy to work with. I found these 1in x 1in sized erasers at a thrift shop in Ali Mall. They cost PhP3 a piece.

3. Wood Carving set / Craft knife / Cutter
Of course we need tools to "carve" our preferred design onto the rubber, won't we? On a personal note, I'd prefer using the craft knife. (Wood Carving Set [6 tools] - PhP150, NBS; Craft Knife - Php120, Powerbooks)

4. Lots of Patience!
You'll find out in the latter steps. Hahaha.


Steps in creating your stamp:

Trace or shade in your pattern using a pencil like so:


The purpose of this step is so that you could easily transfer the image onto the eraser. Please remember that when doing your design on the eraser, it should be in its mirror image.

Rub the design onto the eraser until it leaves a visible mark of the pattern. Use a permanent marker to trace the design again. This is just a step to make sure that the design does not come off or blur when you are already in the etching/carving process.

With your angular knife tool / craft knife, outline the edges of your design.

Then using the u-shaped or v-shaped carving tool (I really do not know the exact technical term for this), carefully remove parts of the eraser that are unnecessary, making sure that your design is the only one that is "raised".

This process is a very tedious one, especially when doing a very detailed image design. Always be careful not to go beyond the borderlines of your image because one small cut is really obvious on the "stamped" image. Syempre, also be careful not to cut yourself. (This is actually the part where your patience is the utmost requirement. Haha)

Well. This is how your workplace will look like after. :))

So, there you have it folks, your very own stamp! Go ahead and take out that stamp pad and stamp awaaaay! ^_^




P.S.

I was not able to take a photo of the card I did. Haha. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...